Your account already exists. Please login first to continue managing your settings.
The Halifax-1 well reached total depth at 4,267 m (14,081 ft) and appears to be gas saturated through the Permian zone. It is the thickest REM section encountered to date in the Nappamerri Trough unconventional drilling program in the Cooper basin in Australia, according to Beach Energy Ltd.
Preliminary interpretation of log data in the unconventional well indicated the Permian target zone is likely to be gas saturated from the Toolachee Formation through the Patchawarra Formation. Further interpretation will be required to confirm this initial analysis.
When compared with other Nappamerri Trough wells drilled to date, Halifax-1 has the thickest Roseneath shale, Epsilon Formation and Murteree shale (REM) section, at approximately 460 m (1,518 ft). The Patchawarra Formation is greater than 490 m (1,617 ft) thick.
In addition to the primary Permian targets in the well, earlier drill stem testing of a conventional, gas-bearing sand in the Triassic interval, immediately above the Toolachee Formation, flowed gas at approximately 200,000 cf/d.
It is anticipated that hydraulic stimulation of the Halifax-1 well will take place in late November 2012, after which the well will be put on extended flow test for a period of several weeks. A resource estimate will be made after data from the flow test is gathered.
Beach is the operator with a 60% interest. Icon Energy Ltd. owns the remaining 40%.
Following casing and suspension of the well, the Ensign 916 rig will be mobilized to the Boston-1 unconventional well location in PEL 218 (Beach, 100%), approximately 30 km (18 miles) to the southwest of Halifax-1.