Your account already exists. Please login first to continue managing your settings.
The Bertam-2 appraisal well proved the continuity and quality of the K10 oil reservoir sandstone to the northeast of the Bertam-1 discovery well on the PM307 production sharing contract (PSC) area offshore peninsular Malaysia, according to Lundin Petroleum AB.
The well was drilled to a total depth of 1,884 m (6,217 ft) by the jackup rig Offshore Courageous. The objectives of the well were to appraise and test the Oligocene lower coastal plain sandstones of the PM307 PSC area. Deeper sands that formed a secondary exploration target were confirmed to be water-bearing.
The K10 reservoir sand was fully cored and logged. Preliminary interpretation indicates an oil interval with very good reservoir properties. Upon production testing a stabilized flow rate of 756 barrels of oil per day was achieved. Following the test, the well was plugged and abandoned and the rig demobilized.
"Bertam-2 is the fifth and final well in Lundin Petroleum's 2011 Malaysia exploration drilling campaign. Four of the five wells drilled in our initial campaign have encountered hydrocarbons. Bertam is a potentially commercial oil field, and we will undertake immediate studies to determine the range of oil resources with a view to rapidly selecting a concept and moving forward towards development or planning further appraisal if required," said Ashley Heppenstall, president and chief executive officer, Lundin Petroleum.
The PM307 PSC is operated by Lundin Malaysia BV with 75% equity interest. Petronas Carigali Sdn. Bhd. holds the remaining 25%.