Your account already exists. Please login first to continue managing your settings.
Kosmos Energy signed three production sharing contracts with the government of Mauritania for blocks C8, C12, and C13 offshore Mauritania.
The blocks, which are contiguous, range in water depth between 1,600 m (5,250 ft) and 3,000 m (9,800 ft), and have a combined acreage extent of approximately 27,200 sq km.
Kosmos, operator of the three blocks, will have 90% working interest; Societe Mauritanienne des Hydrocabures, will hold the remaining 10%.
In the initial exploration phase under each of the contracts, Kosmos plans to acquire 2D and 3D seismic data. The company targets first drilling as early as 2014.
Brian F. Maxted, chief executive officer, commented, “We have now captured approximately 24 million gross acres of high-impact exploration potential, with additional new venture initiatives ongoing to selectively further our opportunity set. The new blocks captured reside in the proven offshore Mauritania salt basin and include the outboard fairway of the under-explored Upper Cretaceous stratigraphic play concept.”